Who qualifies for an abatement?

You may qualify for an abatement when:

  • A vehicle is sold, traded, or junked
  • A vehicle is totaled
  • A vehicle is stolen
  • A registrant moves to another city or town within Massachusetts prior to January 1st of the taxing year
  • A registrant moves out of state, cancels his/her MA registration, and registers in another state prior to December 1st

Show All Answers

1. What is motor vehicle excise tax?
2. Who must pay?
3. What is the rate?
4. How are vehicles valued?
5. How often will I get an excise tax bill?
6. Who qualifies for an abatement?
7. How are abatements figured?
8. Who qualifies for an exemption?
9. Where and when must I file for an abatement / exemption?
10. When is payment due?
11. What happens if my payment is late?
12. How does non-payment of motor vehicle excise affect license and registration?
13. What if I have moved out of Southborough?
14. What if I sold my car?
15. What if I traded my car?
16. What if my car is stolen?