Marriage Intentions

You must make an appointment to file Marriage Intentions. Please call 508-485-0710, ext. 3005 to make an appointment or send an email. We'll send you the forms you need to complete before your appointment.

Requirements to obtain a marriage license to be married in Massachusetts include:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Both people must appear in person together
  • Provide satisfactory identification which includes residency (driver's license)
  • Swear or affirm to an oath under the penalties of perjury

Important Notes

  • It is the responsibility of the officiant (a member of the clergy or Justice of the Peace) to complete the marriage certificate and return it to the Town Clerk's Office for recording. The certificate is not valid until it has been recorded in the Town Clerk's office.
  • Southborough Town Clerk Jim Hegarty is a Justice of the Peace and can perform wedding ceremonies in the Southborough Town House.
  • The marriage license fee of $100 includes (5) five certified copies of the marriage certificate which will be mailed to the couple.
  • A marriage license is valid throughout Massachusetts for up to 60 days from the date of application,
  • After filing the marriage intention paperwork, there is a mandatory 3-day waiting period before the marriage license can be issued.
  • A court waiver is available by petition before a district court judge under special circumstances.
  • Divorced persons are not required to provide a copy of their divorce decree, but they must be certain that their divorce is final or absolute. If a party is uncertain as to the absolute date of the divorce, they should contact the court where the divorce was granted. Neither party may even enter into the Intention of Marriage until a divorce is final or absolute. In Massachusetts, a divorce does not become absolute until 90 days after the divorce nisi has been granted, regardless of the grounds for the divorce.
  • Persons are not required to be residents of the State of Massachusetts to be married in Massachusetts, however, no person may apply for a license who would otherwise be prohibited from marrying in their home State or Country.
  • An out-of-state member of the clergy may perform the marriage but must obtain a special certificate from the Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to performing the ceremony. Contact the Commissions Office for more information at 617-727-2836.
  • In some instances, a couple may wish to have a "layperson" solemnize their marriage. Contact the Governor's Council at 617-727-5787 for more information about a One Day Solemnizer Certificate.

This is a helpful site with information about paperwork and legal issues, including changing your name and getting a new ID: After the Wedding.